- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for grilling
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds hanger steak
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and julienned
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 cup cabbage kimchi with juices, chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Sliced scallion, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, combine the canola oil and 3 tablespoons of the sugar with the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Add the steak and let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir in the apple, cucumber and kimchi; season with salt and chill.
Light a grill and oil the grate. Grill the steak over moderate heat until charred and medium-rare within, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
Thinly slice the steak, top with sesame seeds and scallion and serve with the slaw.
Spicy Australian red.