Grilled Ham and Cheese with Strawberry-Red-Wine Jam
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
The secret to Chris Kronner's delectable sandwiches is the jam spiked with Pinot Noir. Kronner got the idea when he was helping Elisabeth Prueitt test jam recipes while they drank wine.
- Twenty 1/4-inch-thick slices of brioche
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam mixed with 2 tablespoons of Pinot Noir
- 10 thin slices of baked ham
- 10 thin slices of Gruyère cheese
- Softened unsalted butter
- Heat a large griddle. Spread 10 of the brioche slices with the jam. Top with the ham and Gruyère and close the sandwiches. Lightly butter the outside of the sandwiches and cook over moderate heat until toasted and the cheese is melted, 2 minutes per side. Cut in half and serve right away.
Kronner uses Scribe's Pinot Noir; it's terrific with the melty cheese and smoky ham. Or serve another Carneros Pinot Noir.