Grilled Halibut with Spiced Star Fruit Chutney
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"Star fruit is an Asian fruit that was introduced to the Amazon many years ago," explains chef Pedro Miguel Schiaffino. He values its balanced, sweet-tart flavor, which makes perfect in chutney. On the cruise, he serves it with tiger catfish, one of many species that thrive in the Amazon River; a firm, white-fleshed fish like halibut is a great substitute.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, halved
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 pound star fruit (about 2), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons jarred ají amarillo paste (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Four 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and cloves and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and cucumber and cook for 4 minutes. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened, 5 minutes. Add the star fruit, tomatoes and raisins and simmer over low heat until the star fruit is tender, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Stir in the ají amarillo paste and capers; let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt.
- Light a grill. Brush the halibut with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until just cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates, spoon the chutney alongside and serve.
Pinot Blanc from Alsace is often creamy with sweet pear notes, substantial enough to go with grilled fish.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.