- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sherry or tarragon vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Six 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Chive Oil
- 1/4 cup small mint leaves
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves
- 18 nasturtiums (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, combine the shallots with the vinegar and lemon zest and let marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and oil it lightly. In a glass baking dish, coat the fish with 2 tablespoons of the Chive Oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of the Chive Oil into the shallots. Add the mint, tarragon, parsley, basil, watercress and nasturtiums, season with salt and pepper and toss gently to coat.
- Grill the fish until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to plates and mound the herb salad alongside. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Chive Oil around the plates and serve at once.
Mild white fish pairs well with a light white wine, but the sharp greens require a bottling with acidity. Look for a tart, French Sauvignon Blanc, such as Pouilly-Fumé.