- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, or 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons drained capers, chopped
- 2 dilled gherkins, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 halibut steaks, about 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds in all)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to make this recipe
In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, orange juice, tarragon, capers, gherkins, anchovy paste, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Light the grill or heat the broiler. Coat the halibut with the oil and season with the salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill or broil the fish for 3 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 4 minutes longer. Serve the fish with the orange rémoulade.
Fish Alternatives Serve grilled or broiled salmon steaks, salmon fillets, or skewered sea scallops with the remoulade in place of the halibut.
The capers, mustard, and orange juice will go very well with a light, lively white wine with plenty of acidity. Try a Pinot Grigio from Italy, preferably from the northern Alto Adige region.