- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped marjoram
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 4 Cornish game hens or poussins, backbones cut out
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Light a charcoal grill. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, marjoram and rosemary. Flatten the hens and season them all over with salt and pepper. Spread them out on a platter, pour the herb mixture over and turn to coat well.
Grill the hens over a medium-hot fire, breast side down, for about 10 minutes, or until lightly charred. Turn the hens over and grill for about 15 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh registers 160°. Transfer the hens to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, then cut them in half, separating the breasts from the legs. Arrange on a platter and serve.