© Edmund Barr
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12
Set out the components of this dish separately so your guests can assemble their own tacos.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- Eight 6-ounce red snapper or tilapia fillets, skinned
- 1 pound green cabbage, shredded (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound red cabbage, shredded (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 large ripe avocadospeeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 dozen 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, serranos, paprika and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Put the snapper fillets in a large glass dish and rub with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, toss the green and red cabbage with the red onion. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and mayonnaise. Pour over the cabbage, season with salt and pepper and toss. Cover the coleslaw and refrigerate.
- In a food processor, puree the avocados with the lime juice. Blend in the sour cream. Scrape the avocado cream into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Season the snapper fillets with salt and pepper. Grill the fish over a moderately hot fire for about 3 minutes per side, or until just cooked through. Transfer the fish to a platter, break the fish into large chunks and cover loosely with foil. Wrap 3 stacks of 12 tortillas in foil and place on the grill until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble each taco, spread a dollop of avocado cream on a tortilla. Top with a piece of fish, a large spoonful of coleslaw and some cilantro leaves. Pass the lime wedges, hot sauce and remaining coleslaw at the table.
Make Ahead The coleslaw and the avocado cream can be refrigerated separately overnight.
A crisp, floral wine complements the mild fish and avocado cream. Try an Alsatian Pinot Blanc.