Grilled Fava Bean Pods with Chile and Lemon
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
"Trust me," says A16's chef Nate Appleman about this unorthodox recipe. He quickly grills whole fava beans, tosses them with a crushed red pepper dressing and serves them hot. They can be eaten wholethe tender pods develop a lovely charred flavor on the grillbut it's also easy to eat them in the traditional way by popping the beans out of their pods and outer skins.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
- 1 pound very fresh fava beans in the pods, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or Chinese chile sauce
- Kosher salt
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the fava bean pods with the olive oil. Grill the favas over high heat for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots. Return the beans to the bowl and toss with the scallion, crushed red pepper and salt. Transfer to a platter and serve with lemon wedges.