Grilled Fava Bean Pods with Chile and Lemon
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
"Trust me," says A16's chef Nate Appleman about this unorthodox recipe. He quickly grills whole fava beans, tosses them with a crushed red pepper dressing and serves them hot. They can be eaten wholethe tender pods develop a lovely charred flavor on the grillbut it's also easy to eat them in the traditional way by popping the beans out of their pods and outer skins.
- 1 pound very fresh fava beans in the pods, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or Chinese chile sauce
- Kosher salt
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the fava bean pods with the olive oil. Grill the favas over high heat for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots. Return the beans to the bowl and toss with the scallion, crushed red pepper and salt. Transfer to a platter and serve with lemon wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.