- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large endives, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound Serrano or prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 lemon wedges
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, simmer the sherry vinegar over low heat until reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 5 minutes; let cool. In a bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the vinegar, garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the endives lightly with olive oil, then grill them over low heat until lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Thinly slice the endives lengthwise. Arrange the endives in a layer on 1 side of each plate. Arrange the slices of Serrano ham next to the endives, then drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with the lemon wedges.
The addition of salty ham to the endives allows a chilled glass of bone-dry fino sherry to cope nicely with the sharp flavors.