- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 Belgian endives, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped marjoram
- One 4-ounce piece of young provolone, shaved
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon zest and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the endive halves with all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Grill the endive halves over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the endives to a platter, cut side up. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of dressing and sprinkle with the marjoram. Scatter the provolone shavings on top of the endives and serve.