- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium Italian eggplants (2 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 soft buns, toasted
- Shredded cabbage, cilantro leaves and jarred pickled jalapeños and carrots, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Heat a grill pan. In a large bowl, whisk the oil with the cumin and season with salt and pepper. Add the eggplants to the bowl and toss to evenly coat. Working in batches, grill the eggplants over moderate heat, turning, until tender, about 5 minutes per batch.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice. Spread the mashed avocado on the bottom buns. Top with the eggplants, cabbage, cilantro and pickled jalapeños and carrots, close the buns and serve.