- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock or broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Ground sumac (see Note)
- Light a grill. Rub the eggplant with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until charred and soft, 20 minutes; let cool slightly. Halve the eggplant lengthwise and scoop the pulp into a blender. Puree until creamy.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, shallot, garlic and rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it is absorbed. Add the vegetable stock, 1/2 cup at a time; stir constantly until it is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is al dente, 20 minutes total.
- Stir in the eggplant puree and the cream and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and scallions. Spoon the risotto into bowls, sprinkle with sumac and serve.