Grilled Eggplant Dip
- SERVINGS: 8 FIRST-COURSE SERVINGS
A goat cheese garnish gives a tangy edge to this smoky eggplant appetizer.
- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Pierce the eggplant in several places with a fork and grill over a medium-low fire or broil as far from the heat as possible for 20 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the eggplants are tender throughout when pierced. Let cool slightly.
- Halve the eggplants lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a food processor. Add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice and yogurt and pulse to combine; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Top with the goat cheese, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.