© John Kernick
Grilled Eggplant and Tomatoes with Parmesan-Basil Crumbs
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Fresh bread crumbs are an underrated way of adding fabulous crunch to recipes. Here grilled vegetables.
Plus: F&W's Grilling Guide
More Amazing Vegetarian Dishes
- 2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 pounds eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 tomatoes, sliced 1 inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the bread crumbs on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil; toss well. Bake for 8 minutes, until the bread crumbs are crisp and golden brown. Transfer the bread crumbs to a medium bowl and toss with the basil and cheese.
- Light a grill. Brush the eggplant slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until charred and tender, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the eggplant to a platter, fanning them out. Brush the tomatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until charred and hot, about 1 minute per side.
- Arrange the tomato slices over the eggplant and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top and serve right away.