- 4 slender eggplants (1/2 pound each), sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 4 large firm tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, plus 1 tablespoon juice from the jar
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Light a grill. Arrange the eggplant and tomato slices on a rimmed baking sheet and brush on both sides with 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the oregano. Grill the tomato slices over a hot fire for about 1 minute per side, or until they are charred but still hold their shape. Transfer to a platter. Grill the eggplant slices over a medium-hot fire for about 5 minutes per side or until lightly charred and tender.
- In a bowl, combine the capers and caper juice with the vinegar, lemon zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, overlap alternating grilled tomato and eggplant slices on a large platter. Tuck the basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.
Tomatoes and capers add bite to the eggplants. A fruity, attractively herbal California Sauvignon Blanc would balance these flavors best.