Grilled Eggplant and Cheese Pizzas
- SERVINGS: 8
These healthy pizzas, topped with pungent grilled eggplant and two kinds of cheese, were inspired by those served at one of Jim Cohen's favorite restaurants, Al Forno in Providence, Rhode Island. Serve the pizzas as they come off the grill, then continue making more.&
- 2 packages active dry yeast (1/4 ounce each)
- 3 cups lukewarm water (105° to 115°)
- 4 cups bread flour
- About 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 small garlic cloves, minced
- Eggplant Caviar
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 6 ounces feta or ricotta salata cheese, sliced or crumbled
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bread flour, then add 4 cups of all-purpose flour and 2 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, adding more all-purpose flour as necessary to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Coat a large bowl with vegetable spray and add the dough. Lightly spray plastic wrap and cover the dough with it. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down and divide it into 8 balls. Flatten each ball into a disk.
- Arrange the disks on 2 lightly floured large baking sheets. Cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until the dough has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of the oil onto an unrimmed baking sheet, add a dough disk and turn to coat with the oil. working on the baking sheet, stretch the dough out to a 12-inch round.
- Using a damp paper towel, coat the grill with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Carefully transfer the dough to the grill and cook over a hot fire, rotating occasionally, until crusty and dark brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the crust over and sprinkle 1 minced garlic clove on top. Spread about 1/3 cup of the Eggplant Caviar on the pizza and top with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan and then one-eighth of the feta. Cook the pizza, rotating occasionally, until crusty on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Garnish with a few parsley leaves, cut into wedges and serve. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 7 more pizzas.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.