Grilled Cured Chicken Breasts
- SERVINGS: 8
Jim Cohen always serves this sweet-salty chicken with soft polenta. The cure is also wonderful for butterflied quail; salt the birds for 15 minutes.
Quick Chicken Recipes
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Eight 9-ounce bone-in chicken breast halves with skin
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, sugar, thyme, pepper and garlic. Arrange the chicken breasts in 2 large baking dishes and rub them all over with the salt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry with the paper towels.
- Light a grill. Using a damp paper towel, coat the grill with the oil. Grill the chicken breasts, skin side down, over a medium-hot fire until the skin is crisp and browned, about 7 minutes. Turn and grill until just cooked through, about 9 minutes longer.
Pair with a lightly fruity, slightly green-peppery French Chinon like Charles Joguet Dioterie Chinon from Loire Valley, France.