Grilled Corn and Tomatoes with Vegan Tonnato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 first-course servings
- 2 loose tablespoons dried wakame seaweed
- Boiling water
- 1/4 cup silken tofu (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon yellow miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 6 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- One 8-inch square sheet of nori seaweed, finely shredded
- In a small heatproof bowl, soak the wakame in the boiling water until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse and press out any excess water; pat dry. Transfer the wakame to a mini food processor and add the tofu, capers, garlic, miso, mustard, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Process to a paste. Add the olive oil and process until fairly smooth; the wakame won't break down completely. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Brush the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning, until tender and lightly charred all over, about 5 minutes. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs into a medium bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the sauce on plates and top with the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the corn salad over the tomatoes and garnish with the shredded nori.
Beer Light lager-style beers, like pilsners, make great food accompaniments because they're subtly hoppy and incredibly refreshing; they're especially good with summery salads like this one. Try Pennsylvania's Victory Prima Pils. When it comes to wine, a rich Chardonnay is terrific with sweet corn.
Pairing Note Not all wines and beers are vegan (that is, made without using products such as gelatin). For details, contact the producers directly.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.