- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 star anise pods, broken
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a shallow dish, combine 1/2 cup of the lime juice with the orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, star anise, rosemary and cinnamon stick. Add the shrimp, toss to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Add the carrot, squash and onion and season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan, add the crushed red pepper and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Strain the sauce into a bowl.
- Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a hot fire or broil until nicely charred and just cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Add the shrimp to the sauce and toss. Arrange the grilled shrimp on 4 plates and top with a little of the citrus sauce. Spoon the vegetable slaw alongside and serve hot.