- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 star anise pods, broken
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
How to make this recipe
Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a shallow dish, combine 1/2 cup of the lime juice with the orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, star anise, rosemary and cinnamon stick. Add the shrimp, toss to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Add the carrot, squash and onion and season with salt and black pepper.
Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan, add the crushed red pepper and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Strain the sauce into a bowl.
Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a hot fire or broil until nicely charred and just cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Add the shrimp to the sauce and toss. Arrange the grilled shrimp on 4 plates and top with a little of the citrus sauce. Spoon the vegetable slaw alongside and serve hot.