Grilled Chorizo with Tangy Caramelized Onions
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
The Spanish word agridulcelike the Italian agrodolce and the French aigre-douxliterally translates as "sour-sweet." That's exactly the flavor of the meltingly rich, molasses-thick slivers of onion slathered over the spicy sausages in this recipe. The onions are also delicious with grilled steak or roast beef sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- Juice of 4 limes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds fresh chorizo sausages
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the sliced onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are browned, about 1 hour. Stir in the butter, jalapeños and lime juice and season with salt and black pepper.
- Light a grill. Grill the chorizo over moderately high heat, turning, until the sausages are browned all over and cooked throughout, about 15 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a platter and top with the caramelized onions. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve.
A substantial Pinot Noir is an ideal choice for spicy foods like grilled chorizo. Try one from the Santa Rita Hills appellation of Santa Barbara County.