- 1 pound whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped and drained on paper towels
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices hearty whole wheat bread
Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, mash together all of the ingredients except the bread.
Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast them until lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then turn the toasts over and spread the mozzarella cheese mixture on top. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.