Grilled Chicken Thighs with Spicy Miso Mayo
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR Plus 3 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Ricardo Zarate serves this insanely good Southeast Asian chicken with a super-simple combination of mayonnaise, miso and spicy Sriracha sauce.
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- One 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup yuzu kosho paste (see Note)
- 2 stalks of fresh lemongrass, tender inner white parts only, chopped
- 1/4 cup yuzu juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 8 boneless skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons shiro miso (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- Kosher salt
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Roast the bell pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred all over, 5 minutes. Place the bell pepper in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let steam for 15 minutes. Peel, seed and chop the pepper.
- In a blender, combine the bell pepper with the ginger, garlic, yuzu kosho, lemongrass, yuzu juice and cilantro and pulse a few times. With the blender on, slowly add the 1 cup of canola oil, scraping down the side, until well blended. Transfer 1/4 cup of the marinade to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a bowl. Add the chicken and massage the marinade into the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, miso and Sriracha. Season with salt and mix well.
- Light a grill and brush the grates with oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, brushing with the reserved marinade and turning occasionally, until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken and transfer to a platter. Garnish with the scallions and serve with the spicy mayo.
Zippy Vinho Verde from Portugal goes easily with any recipe that contains citrus juice.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.