- 8 skinless chicken thighs on the bone
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Melted unsalted butter, for basting
How to make this recipe
- Using a sharp paring knife, make several shallow slashes in each chicken thigh and transfer to a large baking dish. Sprinkle the thighs with the cumin, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon of salt and rub the seasonings into the meat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt, cayenne and garam masala . Pour the mixture over the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Let the chicken stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade, scraping some of it off. Lightly brush the chicken lightly with melted butter and transfer to the grill, buttered side down. Grill the chicken over moderate heat for 22 to 25 minutes, turning and brushing occasionally, until charred in spots and cooked through. Serve right away.
The chicken can marinate overnight in the refrigerator before grilling.