Grilled-Chicken Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts
- ACTIVE: 05 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Using canned artichoke hearts cuts the preparation time for this salad way down. They are surprisingly good; just be sure to rinse them thoroughly to get rid of any extra acidity or "tinny" taste.
Plus: More Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound in all)
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound fusilli
- 1 1/4 cups canned, drained artichoke hearts (one 14-ounce can), rinsed and cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Light the grill or heat the broiler. Coat the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Grill or broil until just done, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fusilli until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain thoroughly. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the chicken, artichoke hearts, scallions, parsley, the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, the vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the Parmesan to the pasta and toss well.
Artichokes can be tough on wine since they tend to make even the driest ones taste sweet. To counteract this tendency, try an acidic white wine such as a Sancerre from France (made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes) or a Sauvignon Blanc from northern Italy.