- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro roots (see Note) or stems
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
How to make this recipe
- In a mortar, coarsely crush the peppercorns. Add the cilantro roots, garlic clove and salt and pound to a paste. Scrape the paste into a large nonreactive bowl. Add the chicken livers and toss to coat. Stir in the fish sauce and soy sauce, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Thread the chicken livers onto four 10-inch metal skewers, leaving a bit of space between them. Grill the livers over moderate heat, turning once, until charred outside and still slightly pink within, about 4 minutes. Serve right away.
Cilantro root is available at Asian supermarkets.
Lambrusco, the brisk, sparkling, signature red of Italy's Emilia-Romagna region, is essentially designed as a palate-refresher for that region's rich pastas and ragùswhich also makes it an ideal partner for these meaty grilled chicken livers.