- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and tender green, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breasts on the bone, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups medium-grain rice, such as Valencia
- 1 1/4 cups fresh shelled fava beans (about 1 1/2 pounds in the shell) peeled, or fresh or frozen lima beans
- 4 1/2 cups hot chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Light a grill. When the fire is hot, set a paella pan or medium roasting pan on the grill. Add the olive oil. Add the leek and garlic and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, turning, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat with oil. Add the fava beans and then the hot stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the the saffron, shake the pan to loosen the rice and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Spread the rice in an even layer and nestle the clams in the rice, hinges down. Cover the grill and cook until all the clams open and the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes; rotate the pan halfway through cooking. Remove the pan from the grill and cover with a kitchen towel for 5 minutes to steam, then serve.
One Serving Calories 320 kcal, Protein 25 gm, Carbohydrate 43 gm, Cholesterol 51 mg, Total Fat 4.1 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm.
Try this dish with a spicy Alsatian Riesling like Domaine Weinbach's Cuvée Théo.