Grilled Cheese-and-Bacon Sandwiches with Cheese Curds
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Cheese curds are small chunks of just-made cheese that haven't been pressed into a shape. They're milky and delicious in a grilled cheese sandwich like this one, which is spread with Joe Beef's signature "chicken glace mayo," made at the restaurant with chicken stock that Morin says has been "reduced to oblivion." He suggests substituting beef bouillon to replicate his uniquely savory mayonnaise.
- 1/2 beef bouillon cube (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 12 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, cut into 4 slices
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese curds (1 cup); see Note
- In a small bowl, mash the bouillon cube into 2 teaspoons of hot water until dissolved. Whisk in the mayonnaise and Sriracha and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Set a griddle over 2 burners and turn the heat to moderate. Butter the bread slices on 1 side. Spread the other side of 4 bread slices with the spicy mayonnaise and top with the onion, cheddar, cheese curds and bacon. Close the sandwiches buttered side out and griddle over moderately low heat until crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
This sandwich is intensely rich with cheese, bacon and mayonnaise, calling for a full-bodied white with good acidity, like Chardonnay.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.