Grilled Carrot Salad with Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Grilling concentrates the sweet flavor of fresh baby carrots. (Bagged "baby" carrots will never taste the same.) Bryce Gilmore marinates them, then tosses them with a wonderful and unusual dressing he makes by cooking butter until brown, then pureeing it with marcona almonds and sherry vinegar.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 pound baby carrots, halved lengthwise and tops trimmed to 1 inch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons marcona almonds, plus chopped almonds for garnish
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, paprika, fennel, coriander, garlic and thyme. Add the carrots and let stand for 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill pan. Remove the carrots from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until crisp-tender, 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and nutty-smelling, shaking the pan gently, about 5 minutes. Scrape the butter and solids into a blender. Add the vinegar, water and the 2 tablespoons of almonds; puree until smooth. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Add the vinaigrette and arugula to the carrots; toss to coat. Transfer the salad to plates, sprinkle with chopped almonds and serve.
Nutty brown butter and full-bodied Chardonnay are a fantastic match.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.