- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and stir in the honey. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the 1 tablespoon oil, the flour, salt and cardamom and stir until the dough forms a cohesive mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Set the balls on an oiled baking sheet and brush with oil. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough to an 8-inch disk. Arrange them on 3 oiled baking sheets and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet. Brush each nan lightly with olive oil and grill for about 1 minute, until golden on the bottom and light bubbles form on the top. Turn and cook until golden all over, about 1 minute. Keep warm while you cook the remaining nan.
The dough can be refrigerated overnight. Punch down the balls before proceeding.