- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 1 2/3 cups warm water
- Pinch of sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
How to make this recipe
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, warm water and sugar and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt, pepper and the 1/4 cup of olive oil and mix at medium-low speed until a soft, supple dough forms, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and cut it into quarters. Lightly oil each piece and wrap individually in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Light a grill. On a lightly oiled work surface, unwrap one piece of dough and press and stretch it to a 12-by-8-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Brush the dough on both sides with oil. Grill the bread over moderate heat (working in batches, if necessary), turning occasionally, until puffed and lightly charred in spots, about 4 minutes total. Serve right away.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 3 days. The bread can also be made up to 3 hours ahead and reheated before serving.