- 1/2 medium green cabbage (1 pound), cut through the core into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 medium red cabbage (1 pound), cut through the core into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- 4 cemita buns, kaiser rolls or hoagie rolls, split
- 1 Hass avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
Arrange the green and red cabbage wedges in 2 separate large skillets. Divide the olive oil, garlic and cumin between the skillets. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/3 cup of water to each skillet and bring to a boil. Flip the cabbage wedges, cover and cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer the cabbage wedges to a plate, keeping them intact.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the cabbage wedges over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred all over, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the plate.
Brush the cut sides of the buns with olive oil and grill over high heat until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a work surface
Scoop the avocado into a small bowl. Add a generous pinch of salt and mash with a fork. Spread the avocado on the cut sides of the buns. Top with the cabbage wedges, mozzarella and cilantro and serve with hot sauce.