Grilled Butterflied Lemon Chicken
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
To remove the backbones, cut along either side of it using sturdy kitchen shears. Alternatively, have the butcher do it for you.
- Two 3 1/2-pound chickens, backbones removed and excess fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat a gas grill or light a charcoal fire. On a work surface, press down on the chickens so they lie flat. In a small bowl, combine the oil with the garlic, lemon zest and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Rub the oil all over the chickens.
- Grill the chickens over very low heat, turning occasionally and brushing with the lemon juice, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted near the thigh joint registers 165°, about 40 minutes. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve.