- Two 3 1/2-pound chickens, backbones removed and excess fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to make this recipe
Preheat a gas grill or light a charcoal fire. On a work surface, press down on the chickens so they lie flat. In a small bowl, combine the oil with the garlic, lemon zest and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Rub the oil all over the chickens.
Grill the chickens over very low heat, turning occasionally and brushing with the lemon juice, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted near the thigh joint registers 165°, about 40 minutes. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve.