- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pickled hot peppers, plus 1/4 cup brine from the jar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Shaved Pecorino Sardo, for serving
How to make this recipe
Make the salsa rossa
In a saucepan, boil 1 cup of water. Remove from the heat. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Let stand until the tomatoes are softened, 15 minutes.
Transfer the tomatoes and their liquid to a blender. Add the roasted pepper, pickled peppers, brine and vinegar and puree until very smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil until incorporated. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the oregano and sugar. Season with salt and black pepper.
Make the broccoli rabe
Set up an ice bath. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the broccoli rabe for 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath. Drain and pat dry.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, toss the broccoli rabe with the oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, 4 minutes. Serve with the salsa rossa and pecorino.