Grilled Bread and Marinated Tomato Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf country bread (12 ounces), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 bunches arugula (6 ounces each), stems discarded
- 5 ounces ricotta salata, crumbled (1 1/4 cups)
- On a cutting board, using the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic clove to a paste with a pinch of salt; transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, vinegar and the 3/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture stand at room temperature, stirring a few times, for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.
- Light a grill. Brush the bread with olive oil and grill over high heat until toasted and lightly charred in spots, 1 minute per side. Let cool slightly, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the bread and arugula to the tomatoes along with the ricotta salata and toss to combine. Serve right away.
Fresh summer tomatoes and ripe, fruity American rosés are a natural pairing, thanks to the similar brightness of their flavors.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.