Grilled Brats and Onions with Parsley Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
“Brats are about as Wisconsin as it gets,” says restaurateur Gabriel Stulman. For summer, he came up with a bright, lemony parsley sauce to go with the sausages, along with the classic accompaniments of grilled onions and mustard.
- 4 cups lightly packed parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup lightly packed dill sprigs
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 4 red onions (2 pounds), each peeled and cut into 6 wedges through the core
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 20 bratwursts (4 pounds)
- Dijon mustard and Torn Garlic Bread, for serving
- In a saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the 4 cups of parsley until bright green, 45 seconds. Drain and immediately transfer to an ice bath to cool. Drain well and transfer to a food processor. Add the dill, garlic, 1 cup of water and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and puree until nearly smooth. With the machine on, add the 1/2 cup of olive oil until smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Light a grill and brush the grate with olive oil. Brush the onion wedges with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred and softened, 7 minutes total. Transfer the onions to a bowl and add the lemon zest, thyme and remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and toss.
- Grill the bratwursts over moderately low heat, turning, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into each sausage registers 165°, 15 minutes. Spoon some of the parsley sauce onto a platter and top with the bratwursts and onions. Garnish with parsley and serve with mustard and Torn Garlic Bread, passing the rest of the parsley sauce at the table.
Try these brats with a Wisconsin classic, like Sprecher’s Hefe Weiss. Or try The Crisp, from Wisconsin native Shane Welch’s New York City brewery, Sixpoint.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.