Grilled Bok Choy with Braised Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 4
Bok choy is usually stir-fried, but Bryant Ng char-grills it until it’s smoky, tops it with deeply savory braised shiitake, then drizzles the dish with a ginger-scented oyster sauce.
- 2 1/2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for brushing
- One 1-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger— 1/2 inch smashed, 1/2 inch cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/2 ounce rock sugar, crushed, or 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 scallion, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon unaged whiskey or other grain alcohol
- 1 pound bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- In a large bowl, cover the shiitake with water and let soak overnight at room temperature. Drain the mushrooms and discard the stems.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the smashed ginger, sugar and scallion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and starts to caramelize, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and the 2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and most of the stock has evaporated, 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in the 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce and season the braised mushrooms with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil until shimmering. Add the ginger matchsticks and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly golden, 1 minute. Add the whiskey and cook for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and 1/4 cup of oyster sauce and simmer over moderately low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Keep the ginger oyster sauce warm.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch the bok choy until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Drain and cool under running water; pat dry.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the bok choy with oil and grill over high heat, turning, until lightly charred, 5 minutes. Transfer to plates or a platter and top with the mushrooms. Drizzle the ginger-oyster sauce over the bok choy and mushrooms and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.