Grilled Black Cod Lettuce Wraps with Pickled Cucumbers
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Ricardo Zarate uses paiche, a firm, white fish imported from South America, in these tasty lettuce wraps. Since it's tricky to find, black cod makes a fine substitute.
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup peeled and finely chopped cucumber
- 3 tablespoons shiro miso (light miso)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound skinless paiche or black cod, cut into 8 equal pieces
- 8 butter lettuce leaf cups
- Sweet potato chips, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice wine vinegar and sugar with 1/4 cup of water and warm over moderate heat, stirring, just until the sugar dissolves. Transfer the pickling liquid to a small bowl and add the cucumber. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then drain and discard the brine.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine the shiro miso, chipotles, honey, lime juice, red wine vinegar, cumin and oregano and puree the sauce until smooth.
- Heat a grill pan and brush with the canola oil. Lightly season the fish with salt. Grill over moderate heat, basting the fish liberally with the sauce and turning once, until the fish is golden and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Arrange the lettuce cups on a platter. Set the fish in the lettuce cups. Top with the pickled cucumber, garnish with sweet potato chips and serve immediately.
Crisp Sauvignon Blanc from Chile's cool-climate Casablanca region is terrific with fish.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.