- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 pounds beef tenderloin, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Preheat a grill. In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook over low heat until crisp, stirring, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a blender; reserve the garlic oil for another use. Add the soy sauce, miso, sesame oil, sugar and salt to the blender and puree.
- Thread the meat on skewers. Lightly brush the meat with some of the miso glaze. Grill over high heat for 1 minute. Brush with the miso glaze a second time and grill, turning, until charred, about 2 minutes; serve.
The miso glaze is good with earthy Pinot Noirs from Oregon's Willamette Valley.