- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or Asian chile paste
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large scallions, white and light green parts
- Four 4-ounce beef tenderloin steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame (7 ounces), thawed
- 6 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. In a blender, combine the sambal oelek, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil and process until smooth. Blend in the vegetable oil until incorporated.
- Brush the scallions and steaks with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes for the scallions and 8 minutes for medium-rare steaks. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- Cut the scallions into 1/2-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add the edamame, radishes, watercress and about 5 tablespoons of the dressing and toss. Mound the salad on plates and place the sliced steak alongside. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the steak, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
One Serving 466 Calories, 30 gm Total Fat, 4.9 gm Saturated Fat, 16 gm Carbohydrates, 5 gm Fiber.
Fruity, lightly minty California Zinfandel.