© Con Poulos
Grilled Baby Carrot Wraps with Poblano Cream
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
About 15 slender baby carrots—grilled until charred, then tightly rolled inside a tortilla with poblano-spiked sour cream—make for a superb vegetable wrap.
2 poblano chiles
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Green hot sauce
60 assorted thin baby carrots (4 to 5 bunches), peeled
Vegetable oil, for brushing
Four 10-inch flour tortillas
- Roast the poblanos directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over. Let cool. Peel, seed and stem the chiles, then coarsely chop them. Transfer the poblanos to a blender. Add the sour cream, cumin and cilantro and puree. Season with hot sauce and salt.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the carrots until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the carrots with oil. If using a grill, place the carrots in a perforated grill pan. Grill over moderately high heat, turning, until charred, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
- Cut off the top third of each tortilla. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the poblano cream on each tortilla and arrange the carrots (about 15 for each wrap) in a row at the bottom. Tightly roll up the tortillas, folding in the sides as you go. Insert 2 toothpicks in each wrap to keep it closed. Brush the wraps all over with vegetable oil.
- Grill the wraps over moderately high heat, turning, until charred and very crisp all over, about 2 minutes. Discard the toothpicks. Cut the wraps in half and serve the extra poblano cream on the side.