- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- Salt, preferably smoked salt
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, peeled and trimmed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Four 7-inch sub or hoagie rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a blender, combine the ketchup with the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, garlic and chipotle. Puree until smooth. Season the French dressing with salt.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain the asparagus and spread them out on a large baking sheet to cool.
- Preheat a large grill pan. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over moderately high heat, turning, until tender and lightly charred, about 3 minutes.
- Spread the cut sides of each roll with 3 tablespoons of the smoky French dressing. Arrange the grilled asparagus on the subs and top with the raisins, scallions and crumbled feta. Close the sandwiches and serve.
The smoky French dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Vibrant, grassy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
Contributed By Photo © Johnny Valiant Published July 2012