© Tina Rupp
Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Eggs
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
The East Room • London
Chef Mark Broadbent upgrades the standard lemony arugula salad by topping it with grilled asparagus, butter-fried eggs—duck eggs, when available—and freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.
More Substantial Salads
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 3/4 cup freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the lemon juice and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the asparagus over high heat until tender and charred in spots, about 5 minutes; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the eggs sunny-side up until the whites are firm and the yolks runny, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss the arugula with the lemon vinaigrette and transfer the salad to plates. Top with the asparagus, fried eggs and cheese shavings and serve at once.