- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling the grate
- 1 pound thin asparagus
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest (see Note)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Locatelli Pecorino cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill and oil the grate. On a baking sheet, toss the asparagus with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until the asparagus are lightly charred and crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to plates and keep warm.
- Crack the eggs into 4 small bowls. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a simmer. Add the 1/4 cup of lemon juice and season with salt. Stir the water to create a vortex. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring gently in the same direction so they do not settle. Poach over moderate heat until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Set the eggs on the asparagus. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and sprinkle the lemon zest and cheese on top. Season generously with pepper and serve.
If fragrant Meyer lemons are unavailable, use regular lemons instead.
Light, spritzy white from northern Spain.