- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped chervil or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 32 large asparagus stalks (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 1/2 pound lightly salted fresh mozzarella, cut into eight 1/2 -inch-thick slices
- Chive blossoms, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, shallot, chervil, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil.
In a large skillet of boiling water, blanch the asparagus for 1 minute. Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a plate and toss them with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Heat a grill pan over moderately high heat. Working in batches, grill the asparagus, turning, until just tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Divide the asparagus among 8 large plates and top each serving with a slice of mozzarella. Drizzle with the chervil vinaigrette, sprinkle with chive blossoms and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 up to 4 hours ahead. Let the dressing and asparagus stand separately at room temperature.