Grilled Asparagus and Prosciutto Wraps with Pineapple
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Much of E. Michael Reidt's cooking is inspired by Brazil, his adopted country since high school. "First I fell in love with the women, then I fell in love with the culture," he says. Brazil's eclectic cuisine reflects the country's ethnic diversity. This sweet-salty appetizer matches pineapple, a local staple, with two famous European cured meats, prosciutto and chorizo sausage.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 ounces chorizo, julienned (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 32 medium asparagus spears (1 1/2 pounds)
- Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices of pineapple
- 8 thin slices of prosciutto (2 ounces)
- Light a grill. In a small skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate. Pour the leftover oil into a small bowl, whisk in the vinegar and season with salt.
- Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill over moderately high heat, turning often, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a plate. Grill the pineapple slices on one side, about 30 seconds. Cut the pineapple slices into half-moons and remove the core; transfer to the plate with the asparagus.
- On a work surface, place 4 asparagus spears in the center of each prosciutto slice and roll into a bundle. Arrange 2 pieces of pineapple on each plate and top with the asparagus bundles. Spoon some of the dressing over the top, sprinkle with the chorizo and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.