Grilled Apple-Marinated Short Ribs
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Cooks often braise short ribs, but here, the rich ribs are marinated in a mix of apple juice, lemon juice and soy sauce, then grilled until charred on the outside and medium-rare within.
- 1 1/4 cups apple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 meaty, boneless beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red miso
- 2 1/2 tablespoons gochujang (spicy Korean chile paste)
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- PREPARE THE RIBS In a medium bowl, combine the apple juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, scallions, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Put the short ribs in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Seal the bag and transfer it to a metal baking pan. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- MAKE THE SAUCE In a small skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the shallots, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until lightly golden and softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a blender or mini food processor, combine the cooked shallots with the garlic, scallions, miso, gochujang, vinegar, sesame oil and sugar and process to a smooth puree. Season the sauce with salt and transfer to a small bowl.
- An hour before cooking, remove the marinated ribs from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the ribs from the marinade, scraping off any excess. Grill the ribs over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until medium-rare, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain. Serve the ribs with the sauce and the sliced apple.
Syrah's generous fruit is sublime with these delicious ribs. Try a Syrah from Santa Barbara.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.