- 4 large, firm tomatoes (2 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 6 ounces feta cheese, preferably Bulgarian, crumbled
- Crusty sourdough bread, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the tomato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until the tomatoes are lightly charred but still firm, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let cool completely. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, layer the tomatoes with the red onion and mint, overlapping the slices slightly.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the 1 cup of olive oil with the vinegar, sugar, anchovy paste and allspice over moderate heat until the sugar and anchovy dissolve, about 3 minutes. Let the marinade cool completely, then stir in the parsley. Pour the marinade over the tomatoes, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using a slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the tomatoes to a platter or plates. Scatter the feta over the top. Drizzle some of the marinade over the tomatoes and serve with crusty bread.
The grilled tomatoes can be refrigerated in the marinade for up to 2 days.
Vibrant, fruity Spanish rosé