- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 large scallions, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
How to make this recipe
- Set up a grill for indirect grilling, with the coals on one side, and heat to 425°. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set on the grill or the stove, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, black pepper and cayenne. Stir in the corn, scallions and crumbled bacon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sour cream and melted butter. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just blended. Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Place the muffin tin on the grate opposite the coals, cover the grill and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Serve slightly cooled.